TABLE OF CONTENTS
Designating the Grade Center Column that Will Be Submitted (Set as External Grade)
To Submit Final Grades, use ISU AdminTools
To identify the column in your Grade Center as the one to be submitted, you must set that column as an External Grade by clicking the drop-down menu icon to the right of the column name and select Set as External Grade.
NOTE: ISU AdminTools now requires the Final Grade column to be named exactly Final Grade.
For Final Grade submission, the column named Final Grade must be Set as External Grade.
Only one column at a time can be Set as External Grade. Once selected, the External Grade column will have a green checkmark icon to the left of the column name.
Important: also see Requirements for Blackboard Grade Release to the Registrar.
(NOTE: To submit grades by means of ISU AdminTools, you must have previously enrolled students in your course using ISU AdminTools.)
The Grade Center column that will be submitted, must be named exactly Final Grade and Set as External Grade. The column may be a Text, Letter Grade, Total, or Weighted column. If it is a calculated Total or Weighted column, the Primary Display in the Column Information must be based on a Grading Schema.
TIP: If you want to create a Final Grade column that is based on weighted values from other Grade Center columns (e.g. Quizzes, Assignments, etc.), see Weighted Columns.
TIP: If you want to submit a student grade as incomplete, the column will need to be a Text column. Then enter any incompletes as an “I” (without quotation marks).
TO SUBMIT: In the ISU AdminTools panel, click the Grades tab.
- The right side of the panel will display a list of all the students whose grades will be submitted to the Registrar.
- If you receive a warning that “since you are not an instructor of record you may not submit grades,” you need to contact your department secretary or the Registrar to update your status as an Instructor of Record or a Grade Submitter (Blackboard support staff cannot update Registrar records).
- If you receive the warning, “please correct the grades in your BbLearn Grade Center and return here to submit,” see Midterm Grade Submission Policies (at left) and make any corrections to grades highlighted in red. You must go back into the Full Grade Center to make changes before you submit.
See Making Adjustments to Individual Grades.
NOTE: If you have no students receiving F grades, skip to Submit Grades.
To comply with Federal Financial Aid regulations, protect the confidentiality of financial aid recipients, and provide timely response to students seeking financial aid in an upcoming term, adjustments have been made to the final grade reporting process in both AccessPlus and Blackboard for students receiving an F for a course. To meet compliance requirements, you will need to document if the F grade is earned, if the student never attended, or if the student stopped attending at some point in the semester.
- If the student completed the course, the F should be coded as “earned”.
- If no grades for any academic activity are evident throughout the semester and, to your knowledge, the student did not attend class, the F grade should be entered with the comment of “never attended”.
- If the student did not complete the course, the F grade should be entered with the comment of “stopped attending”. In this instance, you will also need to enter your best reasonable estimate for the last date of academic activity for the student. In Blackboard, the last date of attendance will default to the last day the student logged into the course through Blackboard. The instructor must change this date if the estimated last day of attendance is different.
- As before, instructors also have the option to select Incomplete or Non-report. (Non-report means the instructor will report grade at a later date and time.)
These grade report changes will only affect final grading, not midterm reporting.
In the Grades tab of ISU AdminTools, instructions are on the left.
TIP: Click on the Grade column header (twice) to sort by Grade so that all F grades are at the top.
Use the Grade Option column to select one of the listed options for each F grade.
If Stopped Attending is selected, enter the last attended date if it differs from the Last Accessed date.
- For students who never accessed the course in Blackboard, the Last Accessed date defaults to the date the course was created.
- Otherwise, the Last Accessed date indicates the last time a student accessed the course in Blackboard — which may differ from the last time they participated by other means (e.g. in a face-to-face class session).
Use the Grade Option column as needed to select Incomplete or Non-report for any other students. (Non-report means the instructor will report grade at a later date and time.)
You should receive a Note that your grades have been stored. You will receive an email confirmation as well.
You may change grades in Blackboard and resubmit at any time until the deadline at which time they will be sent to AccessPlus. Grade changes after the deadline must be made in AccessPlus.
NOTE: If you make grade changes before the submission deadline, don’t forget to use ISU AdminTools to resubmit.
You may want to edit grades so that they are in a valid format. Or, if you use Extra Credit in your course, a student can receive a score of more than 100%.
Submission errors will occur whenever one or more student’s grades are not acceptable
Invalid Final Grades include: A+, blank, a number, or no grade in column.
(see Requirements for Blackboard Grade Release to the Registrar)
Changing Individual Grades
If the Midterm Grade or Final Grade column is a Text column (not a Calculated Total or Weighted column), simply go to the Grade Center, make the necessary changes directly in the column.
If the Grade Center column that you have Set as External Grade is a Calculated Total or Weighted column, you will not be able to edit the column manually. To make changes to grades in Calculated Total or Weighted columns, see: Making Adjustments to Individual Grades
After you have corrected submission errors or made changes to grades in the Grade Center that have already been submitted, you must still resubmit them using ISU AdminTools at any time until the submission deadline—at which time they will be sent to AccessPlus. Grade changes after the submission deadline must be made in AccessPlus.
When you submit Final grades through Blackboard, they are not immediately transferred to the Registrar database. Your submission is saved and will be transferred after the deadline of the grade submission period.
- You can make changes to grades in the Grade Center and resubmit any time prior to the grade submission deadline.
- If you submit grades from Blackboard, do not also submit them through AccessPlus. Grades submitted through AccessPlus will always supersede the entire submission of anything submitted through Blackboard.
- You can check to see the results of your submission. The grades will appear in AccessPlus after the submission deadline and the transfer to the Registrar database is complete.
- You can use a Total or Weighted column to calculate Final Grades.
- If you want to adjust the Grading Schema (e.g., 94% to 100% = A, 90% to less than 94% = A-, etc.) that Blackboard uses, see How to Edit Grading Schemas in the Grade Center.
- An Extra Credit column works correctly only if you specify 0 points possible. See Extra Credit Columns. But if you do use extra credit, it is possible that a Final Grade calculation may result in some students scoring more than 100%. If that happens, it will cause a grade submission error. To correct the problem, see the next tip.
- You can change an individual student’s Final grade, but you can’t do it directly in a Total or Weighted column. See Making Adjustments to Individual Grades.
- After submitting grades, you can check to see the results of your submission. If you need to make changes, be sure to use ISU Admin Tools to resubmit.