Add Students to Your Course or Create Guest Usernames with ISU AdminTools
Table of Contents
To add students to your course, use ISU AdminTools
Within your Blackboard course in the Course Management Control Panel, click Course Tools to expand the submenu and click ISU AdminTools.
In the upper left panel of the ISU AdminTools Enrollment tab, you will see all of the sections for which you are listed as an Instructor of Record according to the Registrar.
- Check ONLY the box(es) for the Registrar course section(s) that correspond to this specific Blackboard course.
- These students are automatically added to your course.
Individual students will be automatically dropped should they withdraw from the course. Newly registered students will automatically be added the day after they register.
If you do not see your course/section(s) listed . . .
- Registrar course/section enrollment data are not available until 2-3 weeks before the start of the semester.
- Instructors will be notified of the exact date through a Blackboard Announcement.
- You must be listed as Instructor of Record according to the Registrar to enroll students and submit grades.
- To change your status, contact your departmental secretary (Blackboard support staff cannot update Registrar records).
You can easily add individual or multiple students into your course. In the lower left (Manually Add Students) panel:
To add a single student
Simply enter his or her username (usually ISU NetID). Then click Add.
To add more than one student
- Enter one username per line. Then click Add. For example:
- Or click Upload List to use a text file list of usernames with one ID per line. Then click Add.
NOTE: Manually added students will not be included in Grade Submittal if you use ISU AdminTools to Submit Grades.
TIP: You may also enter previously created Demo Student or Guest IDs. For example, if you created one for another class or a previous semester, simply enter the “w.” username (e.g. w.jdough) (i.e. you don’t need to do the whole username,firstname,lastname,password….). Then click Add.
Creating a Guest Username for you to login as a demo student
or for a Non-ISU Participant (someone without an ISU NetID)
- Click in the Manually Add Students panel of the ISU AdminTools and enter the following information:
username,firstname,lastname,password,email (separated by commas with no spaces)For example, enter something like:
TIP: Be sure to enter an email address (even though it says “optional”).
- Click Add.
- a “w.” will automatically be added to the beginning of the username you entered.
Be sure to keep a record of the username and password.
To use your demo student account, log in to Blackboard (https://bb.its.iastate.edu) with your demo student identity.
NOTE: If you create a username and password for someone else to use (e.g. someone without an ISU NetID):
- Be sure to include an email address when you create it.
- You are responsible for communicating the username and password to each manually-added student.
TIP: Once created, this “w.” username can be added to any other course.
(See the TIP at the end of the Manually Adding Students section above.)